Cellular Telephone Disposal Prohibitions and Public Education.
Sec. 703.01. Definitions
Sec. 703.02. Cellular telephone disposal prohibitions
Sec. 703.03. Disposal and collection of cellular telephones
Sec. 703.04. Rules and regulations
Sec. 703.05. Public education effort
Sec. 703.06. Penalties and enforcement
Sec. 703.01. Definitions:
(1) Cellular Telephone shall mean an instrument that is or was capable of sending or receiving telephone communications without an access line for service regardless of whether such instrument is operable and shall include, but not be limited to cellular, analog, wireless and digital telephones including any batteries used therein.
(2) Household chemical waste collection program shall mean any county or municipal program used or designed for the purpose of collecting source separated products including cellular telephones for proper disposal apart from the conventional waste stream.
(3) Disposal shall mean placing into or allowing entry into the waste stream.
Sec. 703.02 Cellular telephone disposal prohibitions.
No person may knowingly dispose of a cellular telephone except as provided in Section 702.03 herein.
Sec. 703.03 Disposal and collection of cellular telephones.
Cellular telephones shall be disposed of or collected as follows:
(a) at a facility equipped to accept cellular telephones as identified by the Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities.
(b) at a household chemical waste collection program.
(c) at any entity, including, but not limited to businesses, schools and not-for-profit organizations that are certified by the Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities to collect and redistribute cellular telephones in accordance with the rules and regulations promulgated pursuant to § 703.04 herein.
Sec. 703.04. Rules and Regulations.
The Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities shall promulgate rules and regulations necessary to implement the provisions of this chapter, including, but not limited to, establishing a protocol to allow for Westchester County entities to participate in the collection and redistribution of cellular telephones.
Sec. 703.05. Public education effort.
The Department of Environmental Facilities in conjunction with the Department of Consumer Affairs shall establish and promote an educational campaign designed to inform the public of the hazards related to improper disposal of cellular telephones and to notify the public of the proper disposal and collection methods for cellular telephones. These Departments shall also make available a regularly-updated listing of facilities and entities within Westchester County that are certified by Westchester County to accept cellular telephones.
Sec. 703.06. Penalties and Enforcement.
1. Violations of any provision of this Chapter are punishable as follows:
(a) For the first violation, a warning.
(b) For the second violation, a fine of up to $150.00.
(c) For a third and any subsequent violation, a fine of up to $250.00.
2. The provisions of this Chapter shall be enforced by the Westchester County Department of Environmental Facilities and may be enforced by any other law enforcement agency having jurisdiction that elects to participate.